Despite with the swanky workplaces and also the high-end life style which is available from the private sector jobs, the people in this country still crave to get into a government jobs or sarkari naukri. The level of comfort and also the prestige and security of an government job doesn’t have any match. These days a great deal of graduates along with post- graduates opt for various government jobs rather than working in your private sector. And the most fascinating fact is that there’s no particular stream or profession from which candidates are acquiring attracted towards government jobs. People from all streams and taking walks of life prefer to get hired inside a government job, given that they fulfill every criterion essential for the same.
So why it is that Indians still prefer government jobs over private jobs? Let us take a look at the advantages that a government job has over private jobs.
Government Jobs Advantages
- Job Security – Government jobs usually are not affected by an undesirable economy. There can be quite little chance that any government personnel will ever drop his/ her career. In most on the cases, the job is retained before individual is eligible to retiring. Employees in government offices employ a fixed income in their entire term plus the job security is usually retained till the conclusion.
- More facilities – Government jobs provide more facilities like internet, telephone subscription, LTC and what not.
- Inevitable salary increment – In government jobs your salary will increase which will have no correlation with your performance. My friend went to DRDO for internship last summer, almost all the employees there played cards all day long.
- More holidays – Probably one of the best perks of in the government sector is that you do not have to argue for taking holidays and for taking leaves. There are fixed holidays annually and whatever; you are entitled to reap the benefits of them. Not merely this, all the government- declared holidays is likewise provided to you.
- Respect – If you are a government employee then you will get respect from a subset of government employees and people because of your position and power.
- Stress free life – No workloads, deadlines, bosses scolding etc.
Government Jobs Disadvantages
- Quality of facilities not good – Unfortunately the facilities provided by government is again by a government organization and I need not say further.
- No glitches – In government sector there are no jumps upwards/downwards, your whole life is planned out and there are no shortcuts until and unless you change your job which seldom happen.
- Less competitive environment – Employees before joining the government sector are competitive like hell but after they join one of the government company the competitiveness fade away by time.
- Reservation system – In this sector this parasite won’t let you go till your death. It’ll in shortlisting, selection, promotion, salary increment and even after your retirement.
- Poor technology and work ethics – Government sector will get huge amount of funding and only a few percent will be spended on technology advancement. Also poor work ethics is solely because of corruption which although common in every sector, it is too much here.
Private Sector Jobs Advantages
- Better facilities – Facilities are also given in private sector but only to a few and the quality is really good, far better than in government sector.
- Pool of opportunities – If you are in a good company then there will be a humongous amount of opportunities but you have to take it before others do.
- Jumps – Private sector are always hunting for smart as well as hard workers and if you are one of them you can expect high salary or even two company’s fighting for you which is really something. So in your life at whichever point you are, you can always jump to better company if you are smart and hard worker.
- Working abroad – Needless to say in private sector you may be send abroad by your own company but only handful of employees who are smart worker and lucky are given such opportunities.
- Cutting edge technologies – You may be given a chance to work on best technologies which you can flaunt on your resume.
- Entrepreneurship – If you are into it then you’ll certainly find guys like you in a private sector only who’ll be equally competitive, willing and smart. For eg. Quora founders previously worked in facebook.
Private Sector Jobs disadvantages
- Job Insecurity – In private sector anyone, anywhere, anytime can be kicked out of the company Eg. Steve Jobs but if you are really good they won’t let go off you for much longer Eg. Steve Jobs.
- Holidays = less payment – The more you take holidays the less you’ll be payed.
- Boss’s whore – No matter wherever you are you have to be “good” to your boss and “nice” to your colleagues. One wrong move and your reputation will be shattered.
- More competitiveness – I was not sure to put this on the pro list or the con list but that depends on your perspective. It doesn’t matter you are old, hurt, sick or sleep driven you have to be ready to perform and be competitive. This is one thing I really like about professional life, you are expected to perform in worst condition which that makes it challenging.
- More stress – Private sector is really a hectic job where family/work balance is always toppling on the work side. There are deadlines which you have to meet and if you don’t then you have to face consequences, you have to make power point presentations for your boss and do work 12 hours.
So with that said if you are a person who likes to be on the actual safe side regarding life and want every aspect in your life to be pre-planned and is also not bothered with the monotonous nature of your respective work then you can go to govt sector.
However if you wish to be challenged everyday, want to really learn new things in a competitive environment and think of starting a company of your personal then you can certainly join the private sector.